Time for your afternoon snack?
Feeling starved for some professional inspiration? Capitolbeat has some brain food for anyone who with a strong interest in state government. Our annual conference is scheduled Aug. 20-22 in downtown Indianapolis and will offer a menu of motivational sessions.
- We’ll start with a reception at the Indiana Capitol that Thursday evening.
- The meat of the conference starts that Friday and includes an entire series on tracking federal stimulus funds and how they relate to your state’s budget.
- A redistricting panel will get you up to speed on the decennial process and what it could mean for your state.
- Health care policy experts will help you understand what’s working and what’s not as states experiment with ways to cover the uninsured without overextending their already crippled budgets.
- Feed off the corruption scandals of Illinois, New York and South Carolina, maybe even New Jersey, by listening to reporters who continue to cover the dramatics.
- There’s more: Gambling, privatizing state assets, higher education funding, environmental reporting and even blogging and other new media technologies.
- The conference ends with a variety of more relaxed “lounge sessions” at Indianapolis attractions, and we’ll ask you what you liked about this year’s conference and what would improve for the next one.
And don’t forget our annual awards ceremony that Saturday night to honor some of the best Capitol reporting in the nation. A special keynote presentation is sure to inspire.
Those of you who have already registered have done yourselves a favor. If you can only make it to Indy for one day of the conference, you’ll pay for that day only and still get a big bang for your buck. Do it. It’s worth it.
**Anyone who plans to attend the Indy conference but has special dietary restrictions or food allergies should contact Pat Guinane, conference chair, at email@example.com as soon as possible. We will do our best to accommodate you.